Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jon Foreman

On rainy Sundays like this, when there is nowhere better to be than in bed, I always find myself going to those same special artists that have come with me so far that their songs feel like hugging an old friend. This is the comfortable, familiar niche of my music collection that is laced with memories and I always come back to. 

107/365 Jon Foreman, for the win. Person #3Today I found myself gravitating towards the smooth voice and deep lyrics of one Jon Foreman in his various incarnations. There's over a decade of albums from his legacy as the frontman of Christian rock classic Switchfoot. Then there are a few rugged jems from the Fiction Family album, his 2009 project with Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek.

The real essence of Foreman for me is his solo work- an album called Limbs & Branches and a series of EPs named after the four seasons. He described them in an interview as a “personal consolation for pain” and you can hear it in every bittersweet lyric set to intimate guitar pickings. Foreman's music reflects a deep desire for a more fulfilled life and the struggle against everything that keeps him from it. These songs were written late at night, never really intended for more than himself and you can hear it.
 Some songs, like White as Snow, are honest contemplations of his personal faith. Despite my usual aversion to direct renditions of biblical text, Foreman has managed several decent ones that stand on their own two musical feet. The EPs also include beautiful love songs like Deep In Your Eyes (There Is A River) which crackles with the unspeakable feelings between lovers.

The Winter EP deserves a special mention, because it is one of the most thought-provoking and insightful contemplations of death I have heard in a long time. These are the songs for the people who are willing to look past a song that's 'so emo' and can let it creep in and affect them. To this day my fingers naturally start playing Learning How to Die whenever I pick up a guitar when feeling emotional.

Jon Foreman is one of those artists I always come back to and at the rate he's going, there will be a lot more to come back to. His music is like someone showing you something only they know.

Build me a home inside your scars
Build me a home inside your song
Build me a home inside your open arms
The only place I ever will belong

I'm Still Running by Jon Foreman 

Extras:
Follow Jon on Twitter- his tweets are worth it.
Lastfm has some good content on Jon
Pic is cc thanks to ALQ!


No comments:

Post a Comment