Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So we are moving to a lighthouse, you and I

On a rainy day, of which we've been having many lately, I love listening to a medley of Joshes.
Like Jon or James, Josh is one of those names that belong to a slew of good musicians. (Come to think of it, naming your son anything with a J seems to be a great idea.)
So, if you have a friend with this musically mystical name, give him a banjo and see what happens... alternatively, listen to my pick of Josh songs.
Calmly


My favourite Josh for a rainy day is one Josh Ritter, who is one of those artists that manage to say something deep and emotional without losing your interest or scaring you. I love it how he can spend a whole song talking seemingly nonsense and in the last two lines change everything. Listen to my favourite, Girl In The War, and Rainslicker.

Most of my friends would be able to tell you that my ultimate morning-music artist is Joshua Radin. This guy and all his music has meant to me really does deserve a whole post, but for now, have a peek at No Envy, No Fear and his The Smith's cover Girlfriend In A Coma.

I've mentioned Josh Pyke in a previous post, but he really shouldn't be missing from this list. Have a listen to the Lighthouse Song, for some more of his relaxed Australian tunes. Also, lighthouses are the shiz. And how can you not like someone who goes cruising around in a guitar-shaped boat?

Some of Josh Kelley's stuff is a little to rom-com cliched for me, but songs like Bound To Keep Moving has a rustically romantic feel to it that's a little Country, but feels just right sometimes. He's the hubby of actress Katherine Heigel, in case you care.

Josh Rouse is on my list of Joshes just because he has a song called Hello Porcupine and I think that's awesome. Jokes, he is pretty good and a nice rainy day artist.

That was quite a full post, but I'm sure you can handle it. Now all you need is a snuggly bed and some rainy-ness outside. Enjoy!

I got a girl in the war,
her eyes are like champagne.
They sparkle, bubble over 
and in the morning all you got is rain 

image thanks to onigiri-kun here

No comments:

Post a Comment