Sunday, May 8, 2011

You're so gorgeous and you don't even know it.

When I moved to university in a crazy little town, I thought it might be the end of my music-filled glory days.  Thankfully though, Grahamstown proved me wrong with it's little collection of local bands, one of which just launched their debut album and thus deserves a post.

Life of Riley played at one of the first gigs I went to here and they've had me singing along to their whimsical love tunes ever since. They mix emotional and carefree songs and show love the way it makes sense in the mind of a crazy, confused student. Terri-Lee Adendorff gives the folk-pop duo a touch of Florence Welch and is responsible for their feisty stage presence.

The debut album, The Golden Age of Us, has all their clap-along favourites one expects from their gigs and can now finally listen to whenever you want. But the real gem is the track Your Brand New Summer Dress, which is far more acoustic than the rest and is the only one sung by Nick Mulgrew.
It's very reminiscent of Sufjan Stevens, both in sound and thoughtful lyrics, and is plainly just a great song. 

Try... Green Eyes, which I've dubbed 'the clap song' and anything else you can get. (Unfortunately, being local, they don't have a fantastic online presence).

Listen to the Life of Riley... because Grahamstown does in fact have a music scene.

You and your brand new summer dress
you wear it well, you wear it best. 
it fits you close and tight on your hips
and fits your curves better than I ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment